Re: Recommendations of external battery for Tascam DR-680

Subject: Re: Recommendations of external battery for Tascam DR-680
From: "NordicNature" nordicsounds
Date: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:59 am ((PST))
Hi!
It sounds like a short recording time. I can get a couple of hours with rec=
hargeable batteries with 2-3 phantom powered channels.

But, I don't use AA batteries any longer, only external batteries. You aske=
d about external battery, so here is what I use.
I use 12v 9800 mah li-ion batteries. I haven't really tested how long they =
 will last, but I know it's at least 8 hours (just put the recorder on rec =
over night and the battery wasn't empty in the morning). I have like 5 of t=
hem. I have also soldered an Y cabel so I can connect two of them at the sa=
me time.
Here is the one I bought last. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-DC12V-Por=
table-9800mAhLi-ion-Super-Rechargeable-Battery-Pack-high-quality-for-wirele=
ss-transmitter-CCTV-camera/565999735.html
I also have the same battery in a black hard shell (http://www.aliexpress.c=
om/item/capacity-9800Mah-w-12-6V-1A-charger-DC-12V-lithium-battery-pack-CCT=
V-camera-using-high/349786965.html), but the box is more than 1 inch longer=
 than it need to be, so I bought without the box the last time I ordered. I=
t's also thicker than it need to be. With these I just put an extra layer w=
ith duct tape to protect it a little bit more. I have them in my bag anyway=
 so it's not a problem.
I just took the link from what I bought the last time so you might be able =
to find it cheaper somewhere else.
Another difference between buying it with a blue shrink plastic and a hard =
black plastic box is the connector. The black box has a female connector in=
 the box so you need a male to male cable to connect it to 680 (included). =
The blue plastic version have one male that you connect to 680 and a female=
 that you connect the charger to.
I also recommend that you buy at least 2. They take a long time to charge. =
If it's completely empty, it can take like 24h to charge it, so it's nice t=
o have a second one that you can use in the meantime.

I do NOT recommend that you buy a similar battery with more than ONE (12v) =
option. I have a couple of 6400 mah versions that have 12v, 9v and 5v USB. =
The problem is that the "converter" for the current is making signals that =
end up in your recording. In my case at 4khz, 8khz, 12khz 16khz 20khz 24khz=
... and so on... Very annoying...
It wasn't a complete waste of money since I can use this version to charge =
my cellphone when I'm away from home a longer time. If you need that, buy a=
 separate one for that purpose.

I think that DR-680 can work with 9v, but I don't see any reason to do that=
.
You can also buy really expensive external batteries, but these work fine f=
or me.

I hope that this have helped you.

/H=C3=A5kan

--- In  Trond Lossius <> =
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Tascam DR-680 that I am using with a SoundField ambisonics mic. =
Recording at 96 kHz using internal AA rechargeable batteries I'm able to do=
 approx one hour of recordings. I'd like to extend this in order to be able=
 to record for up to 5 hours, and recharge over night. Do anyone have recom=
mendations for what to look into (or what to shy away from)?

> Thanks,
> Trond

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional