1. Re: Blimp wind cover for ME66

Subject: 1. Re: Blimp wind cover for ME66
From: "rock_scallop" rock_scallop
Date: Sun Feb 3, 2013 12:02 pm ((PST))
> Initial comparisons with the previous cover have been inconclusive. I have
> discovered that a large proportion of what I thought was wind rumble from the
> microphone was actually coming directly from my headphones! I.e I can hear it
> even when they aren't even plugged in.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem with MDR7506 headphones in a strong wind? I
> haven't had time to experiment further, but I suspect a lot of it will go
> away if I cover the little air hole on the back of each earpiece.

Hi Peter,
Yes, I have that same problem with the MDR7506. They are very loud in the wind,
and make it difficult to discern what is recorded wind rumble while monitoring
in the field.  I have posed that issue to this group before, with very little
response.  Usually I wear a hoodie sweatshirt as a layer while recording so I
can pull the hood over my headphones - and that helps a bit.  I had never
before noticed the little air hole you mention - do you mean the small square
hole under the hinge?

John Hartog
rockscallop.org