Re: Cleaning and preventing fly sounds in recordings

Subject: Re: Cleaning and preventing fly sounds in recordings
From: "Andrew Skeoch" listeningearth
Date: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:08 am ((PST))
Hi Eric,

For post, the best software is Izotope; the spectral repair module. If the =
fly is very close and noisy, you may not be able to clean it out, but at me=
dium distance, without too many upper harmonics present, spectral repair ca=
n do a great job.

I have done quite a bit of work in the Top End, and tropics generally. I us=
e a SASS on tripod, but I've rarely used nets and never repellents (bad che=
micals for gear).

I've found flies are often quite localised, so I try to minimise their occu=
rrence in the first place by finding locations where they are not so preval=
ent.  Shady spots seem often better than sunny, and recording early morning=
 before they become more active. I can't offer any formulas here, I think i=
t is just an instinct of whether it is possible to get away from them and h=
ow. Sometimes it isn't, although I must say that in my experience, I've onl=
y rarely found flies to be a major nuisance.

They are attracted by salty, sweaty odours. So another suggestion is to alw=
ays stand away from your equipment while recording (act as a decoy), and ke=
ep your gear as clean as you can - from sweaty fingers and so on. I have on=
 occasions, taken the fabric cover off the mics - flies seem less fascinate=
d with only plastic and metal.

Last resort for me has been a lightweight, mesh dome tent; set it up with t=
he mics inside.

Flies ARE of course a part of the landscape. Buzzing past, even close, I en=
joy in a recording. The time they get really annoying in a recording is whe=
n they behave 'unnaturally', such as hovering close by, not going away, fly=
ing around the microphone in circles, or worse, landing on it.

Hope this helps,
Andrew

Listening Earth
Andrew Skeoch & Sarah Koschak