Re: Cleaning and preventing fly sounds in recordings

Subject: Re: Cleaning and preventing fly sounds in recordings
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:40 pm ((PST))
There are collapsable clothes hampers with fine mesh fabric construction.

http://www.casa.com/p/whitmor-6926-1170-15-collapsible-laundry-hamper-bry-b=
lue-518294

-Dan

:

>> Hi all and thanks for welcoming me to the community.
>>
>> I currently live in Darwin, Australia so most of my recordings feature s=
ounds from the tropical north. If you are interested, feel free to have a l=
isten on my website or on Soundcloud (details below).

>> One problem that I often face are flies that mess up my recordings (bein=
g in Australia's outback, flies are a very common occurrence). Does anyone =
have suggestions on a) how to remove the nasty buzzing sounds from existing=
 recordings or (and this would be even more helpful) b) how to prevent flie=
s in recordings in the first place?

>> In regards to a) my current approach is to just chop the bits where the =
flies are too dominant but in some recordings that means that I not only lo=
se 70% of the recording but it is also a whole heap of work where the 3 min=
ute outcome does not justify the 6 hours of editing. The problem is that th=
e buzzing sound goes right across the frequency spectrum from about 300 Hz =
to about 3KHz. It would be great if someone had a suggestion on how I can r=
emove or mask this annoyance.

>> In regards to b) I've been thinking about all sorts of constructions, li=
ke mozzie nets that can be installed around the microphones or some sort of=
 repellent to keep the flies away, however, the problem with mozzie nets is=
 that the additional weight and stuff that I have to carry and the time it =
takes to set everything up does again not seem to justify the result. And a=
pparently there is no fly repellent that really works, so that just seems t=
o be pouring money down the drain for something that is very likely to not =
work. Plus, I wouldn't want to spray any chemical on the windjammers anyway=
.

>> My recording gear includes a Marantz PMD661 with a pair of matched Rode =
NT5's. The NT5's are very sensitive and not normally the best choice for ev=
en slightly windy situations, however, when combined with a blimp and windj=
ammer they create a brilliant and authentic stereo image of the locations. =
I am very happy with this setup as it is very compact and the quality of th=
e recordings is very good too. It's just the bloody flies that I need to ge=
t rid off. So if anyone has some recommendations or tricks on how to remove=
 flies from existing recordings without compromising too much of the actual=
 desired sounds or on how to prevent flies from entering the recording spac=
e in the first place, that would be much appreciated.