Re: Olympus LS-14 initial thoughts

Subject: Re: Olympus LS-14 initial thoughts
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Sat Jan 5, 2013 2:27 pm ((PST))
<<But, it still puzzles me that the Chinese haven't come into this speciali=
zed market, they wouldn't give a damn about external forces, and would be m=
ore than happy to take the custom.>>

The demand for truly outstanding quality in portable recorders is much too =
small for any Chinese manufacturers to bother with. It costs too much to ge=
ar up for producing a product that would sell to those who otherwise are bu=
ying Sound Devices, Nagra, Sonosax, or Zaxcoms. Regardless of how much chea=
per Chinese factory workers are than their Western counterparts, a really p=
rofessional, fully featured device will end up being expensive, & it will h=
ave to prove itself reliable enough to trust expensive productions to. So, =
at consumer-level prices, we can only expect consumer-level quality.

SF