10. Summary: [Nature Recordists] Re: EIN values and bits and peaks

Subject: 10. Summary: [Nature Recordists] Re: EIN values and bits and peaks
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:44 am ((PST))
> > I agree; the 5 dB figure may apply to urban interior noise, which
> > has a lot of traffic rumble.
>
> The noise figures which we are discussing as "excess noise" are
> relative to the fundamental thermal noise of the air. This rises at
> the rate of 3dB per octave so, in comparison, low frequency noise is
> much greater than low frequency thermal noise. Fortunately our ears
> are less sensitive to LF at low levels.

But as long as we look at the EIN specifications of the preamp, we don't ha=
ve to care about the microphone and the thermal noise of the air!

Keep in mind that the EIN figure is just a noise VOLTAGE that is measured i=
n volts or dBu and it alone has nothing to do with sound levels, phones or =
the thermal movement of air molecules.

> This is why weighting is important in all noise measurements. I
> haven't concentrated on the source of the 5dB figure but this is
> probabably about right with A weighting.

I did that and when I apply an A-weighting filter to a typical band-limited=
 (20 Hz to 20 kHz) noise floor of a good preamp (again, please note that th=
ere is still no air involved at this stage), then I get only a difference o=
f about 2 to 3 dB!

This difference can also be found in the specifications of the SoundDevices=
 recorders:

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/702/specs/

Equivalent Input Noise:
Mic: -130 dBu max (-132 dBV), 150 ohm source, A-weighted filter
Mic: -128 dBu max (-130 dBV), 150 ohm source, 20 Hz=9620 kHz BW flat filter=
, gain fully up

I agree that the spectral properties of the microphone self noise would be =
a completely different story. Bye the way, some microphones exhibit a self =
noise spectrum that is even different from what you described above. Look f=
or instance the Sennheiser MKH series that is adopted to the human hearing =
curve (they exhibit an increased floor at frequencies above 10 kHz). Severa=
l years ago I created a chart that illustrates this:

http://www.avisoft.com/test/noisefloors.pdf

When recording in the field, then we would also experience other effects su=
ch as the atmospheric attenuation of the sound depending of the signal freq=
uencies and distance of the sound sources. That's the reason why we often h=
ave that nasty low-frequency traffic rumble. But I don't think that these e=
ffects should be taken into account for judging the noise performance of a =
microphone/recorder combination.

Regards,
raimund