6. Summary: [Nature Recordists] Re: EIN values and bits and peaks

Subject: 6. Summary: [Nature Recordists] Re: EIN values and bits and peaks
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:23 am ((PST))
Would "Equivalent Output Noise" or EON do the trick?

John

--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:

> > In an attempt to make my calculations a little clearer and more useful,=
 I made some changes to the spreadsheet.

> This is very useful, John, thank you.
>
> I quibble with the use of one term. "EIN" refers to the "equivalent input=
 noise" of the preamp. Therefore it should not be used for the noise contri=
buted by the microphone. I don't think there's a standard term for the outp=
ut level of the mic's self-noise, ordinarily quoted in terms of equivalent =
SPL. It's a useful figure, though, and perhaps we should invent a term for =
it. Self-noise output?

> Missing from your calculations is the loading effect of the input impedan=
ce of the preamp on the output impedance of the mic. Either or both may not=
 be flat in the frequency domain. Let's not go there for now!