4. Summary: [Nature Recordists] Re: EIN values and bits and peaks

Subject: 4. Summary: [Nature Recordists] Re: EIN values and bits and peaks
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:36 am ((PST))
> Just to be picky, mv/Pa cannot be "converted" to dB

But some manufacturers give their sensitivity specifications in mV/Pa but s=
ome in dBu (which is really dBu/Pa), and some in dBV (which is really dBV/P=
a, although sometimes it is dBV/0.1Pa just to confuse us). And sometimes th=
ey just give a number and don't say what it is!

My formulas simply convert among mV, dBu and dBV. That is what I meant. I a=
pologize for not being clearer about that.

Decibels are a tad confusing to begin with since they are not an absolute v=
alue but a relative value that must reference a known quantity. And it gets=
 still more confusing when we are talking about sound in air or in water, w=
here 0 dB SPL is either 20 micropascals (air) or 1 micropascal (water). I d=
on't blame anyone for being confused. I'm not 100% sure that I am not!

And then the manufacturers confuse things further by obfuscating their spec=
ifications to make their products look better.

But still, many mics have specs in mV/Pa for sensitivity and dB SPL for sel=
f noise (or s/n in dB), and I have found that these numbers do have real wo=
rld value. I have tested all of my mics and preamps and they all conform to=
 the specs within a reasonable margin (especially considering I do not own =
any fancy test equipment and depend heavily on Audacity and my ears to eval=
uate different mic/preamp combinations).

All of this has helped me make choices, so I think it is not a useless purs=
uit.

But then, after all the calculations I have made and testing I have done I =
am not sure that I am 100% sane any more. Maybe it's just something to do i=
n the dead of winter when there is nothing to record but more brittle wind.

John