Re: EIN values and bits

Subject: Re: EIN values and bits
From: "umashankar" umashanks
Date: Thu Dec 6, 2012 4:35 am ((PST))
I know the zoom h2 recording levels are set post a-d and probably other low=
 cost small digital recorders do as well. with the zoom there is one settin=
g to use. level 100 and sensitity 'm'. but with 24 bit it has not been a pr=
oblem for me so far. ( I plan to add four expensive input transformers to a=
 zoom H2 to see what happens. )
=A0
umashankar

>________________________________

n the converters and the recorded file. I think the Zoom H2 is an example o=
f this. It has a 3-position sensitivity switch, low-medium-high, which is t=
he analog preamp gain, and a digital record level adjustment using the back=
 and forward buttons. This could either be a digital attenuator of the anal=
og signal before the converters, or an attenuator of the digital signal aft=
er conversion. I suspect it's the latter. If someone knows please speak up.

>An attenuator after the converter just throws away good bits. It can't pre=
vent converter overload or improve the signal-to-noise. It's only useful fo=
r getting a desired level in the recorded file--but if the recordings are g=
oing through post-production, that's a better place to adjust levels to a d=
esired target.