Re: What to buy to record insect stridulations

Subject: Re: What to buy to record insect stridulations
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:35 am ((PST))
> Is there a unit - around $200.00 or so - that an amateur like myself woul=
d probably be pleased with?  I have been ordering through B&H for decades. =
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Portable-Digital-Recorders/ci/14934/N/424=
Message: 8627700.
Subject: I sure would like to start with a unit with a built in mic.

> Here are some of the recorder requirements I read about.
> (1) option of manual recording level setting
> (2) display of recorded level
> (3) microphone input
> (4) designed for music recording
> (5) capable of recording in at least CD format
> (6) Ein of better than -116dBu
> (7) uncompressed recording format of at least stereo 44.1kHz sampling/16 =
bits
> (8) record up to 96 kHz

Hi Tom,

I would recommend the SONY PCM-M10 that meets all your requirements (except=
 the price point) and whose internal mics can pick up also ultrasounds up t=
o about 30 kHz, which is useful for recording insect stridulations. I have =
used this recorder for that purpose and I'm quite happy with the results (l=
isten for instance to http://www.avisoft.com/sounds/Uromenus_rugosicollis.w=
av).

Another good choice would be the Olympus LS-10S or perhaps the new LS-12/13=
.

Regards,
Raimund