Re: EIN values for LS10-11 on Avisoft

Subject: Re: EIN values for LS10-11 on Avisoft
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:09 am ((PST))
> However, looking at your chart, I see the LS-10/11 scores as follows:
>
> SENSE HIGH, LEVEL 10 = -122 dBu
>
> SENSE LOW, LEVEL 10 = -113 dBu
>

> Does this not suggest that the recorder is generating less noise at high
> sensitivity than low?
>
> Am I reading this wrong?

Hi Chris,

Yes, this might be indeed a bit confusing...

The table entry "LS-10/11 SENSE LOW, LEVEL 10 = -113 dBu" applies to a
bit-depth of 16 bits, which is the setting that I use by default on all my
tests because at the maximum gain setting of each recorder, there is generally
no difference between 16 and 24 bits.

This low gain setting of the LS10/11 (at 16 bit resolution) will however add an
additional quantization noise component, that you can get rid of by selecting
the 24 bit format instead. The corresponding value at the 24 bit setting is as
follows:

Olympus LS-10/11 (SENSE LOW, LEVEL 10, 24 bit) = -121dBu(A)

I just added the missing "16 bit" label in order to prevent this kind of
confusion.

Regards,
Raimund

<*> Your email settings: