2. Re: iRig pre

Subject: 2. Re: iRig pre
From: "Max" oatcruncher
Date: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:50 am ((PST))
Hi Alan,
It would seem that what you're after is the Holy Grail, and unfortunately i=
t hasn't been discovered/made yet! You are restricting yourself a lot by th=
e portability requirement, unless you can get really close to all your subj=
ects. BUT, I don't consider myself anything like sufficiently educated to a=
nswer your question, and have no doubt that one of our more expert members =
will come in with some suggestions for you. All I can say at this time is, =
that the iRig will definitely supply more gain/amplification than you are e=
ver likely to need. In respect of microphone, with the large frequency rang=
e you intend to record, you clearly need to be looking at mics that cover t=
hese frequencies. As with a lot of things, the more you can afford to pay t=
he better; you don't mention budget.
If you read the earlier posts on this thread, you will see that the iRig do=
es indeed have unadvertised uses, but the manufacturers won't condone it. Y=
ou will also find a link to a lead that I am using with my LS-10, that shou=
ld allow iRig use with many other instruments, but I can of course give no =
guarantee of this, and can in no way be held responsible for any problems t=
hat may occur if this is undertaken.
Cheers
Max

--- In  "symmerista" <> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm intrigued by the iRig Pre. For my field biology class I bought a $30 =
Edutige EIM-001 i-Microphone for my iPhone, and it definitely made sounds s=
omewhat louder, which helped for our main purposes of recording unknown ani=
mals for later identification. The Edutige also worked with most of my stud=
ents' various Android phones, though it's not marketed as such. Any chance =
that the iRig likewise has unadvertised Android compatibility?

> My main question, however, is what microphone would be a good, inexpensiv=
e choice to connect to an iphone/iRig setup. My objectives, for now, are no=
t to produce "publication quality" sounds, but to capture good-quality soun=
ds of birds, singing insects, frogs and toads for documentation and identif=
ication purposes. Portability is important, as I also lug around a fair bit=
 of camera equipment. I've looked at the specs of many different mikes, but=
 after a while my head starts spinning as I don't know nearly enough to dec=
ide which pros and cons are most relevant!