Re: Determining peak frequencies - bats

Subject: Re: Determining peak frequencies - bats
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:56 am ((PST))
> Mics that handle bat frequenies are either hissy or expensive, and
> many bat detectors introduce spurious frequencies, including
> subharmonics. Thus you can often pick up 110KHz Lesser Horseshoes at
> an HD setting of 55KHz.

David,

While it is a good habit to care about potential quirks of the equipment, I
think in this particular case the 55 kHz signal component is really emitted by
the bats themselves.

Actually, the fundamental frequency of the Lesser Horseshoes Bat echolocation
calls is 55 kHz! The most intense component is however the second harmonic at
110 kHz. This is common in many horsehose bat species.

See also this paper on the greater horseshoe bat:

http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CHAQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ivb.cz%2Ffolia%2F56%2F2%2F126-136_MS1192.pdf&ei=T0evUIyKDcnNtAaH5ICwAg&usg=AFQjCNESEWF5pY9lutE02VV2WmDAstbHUg&sig2=bVNiFN4o2V6Odc_PE3Zwbw

Regards,
Raimund

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional