Re: Determining peak frequencies - bats

Subject: Re: Determining peak frequencies - bats
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:29 pm ((PST))
David,

I'd be assuming that biology students recording insects would be
using equipment that could handle the expected frequencies.

I compared two recordings of Upolu Meadow Katydid, one made at sample
rate of 96 kHz on Olympus LS10 with Sennheiser ME66, and the other
made with Sound Devices 702 (sample rate 192 kHz) and MKH 8020 mic,
and for both recordings I got the loudest frequency coming in at
around 24 kHz.

I seem to recall that Raimund once tested the Olympus LS10 at its
highest sample rate of 92 kHz, and found that even the built in mics
could pick up a bat that called at 30 kHz.

The MKH 8020s are great for insects and bats because they will record
sounds up to 70 kHz before dropping off.

Vicki