Determining peak frequencies

Subject: Determining peak frequencies
From: "symmerista" symmerista
Date: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:44 am ((PST))
Greetings,

My Field Biology class and I have been recording unknown birds and insects, as
well as developing libraries of known local species and "sound keys" to help
them identify their unknowns. We use Raven Lite to visualize the sound files.
For crickets and katydids, we often see "peak frequencies" in the species
descriptions. We were hoping to be able to use peak frequencies in our keys,
but now I'm not so sure that will work.

For some species, the published peak frequency clearly matches up with the
spectrogram of the corresponding call (e.g., 3.4 kHz in Neoxabea bipunctata on
this page: www.bio.georgiasouthern.edu/bio-home/harvey/peakfreq.html -  I don't
yet know how to post images more directly to the group!).

In other case, I do not see how the peak frequency was determined. E.g., in the
second species, Arethaea phalangium, the peak is listed at 15kHz, but I don't
see how you would conclude this from the spectrogram.

Can anyone provide some insights here?

Thanks!

Alan