Re: Starving P48 mics

Subject: Re: Starving P48 mics
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:28 am ((PST))
> Can anyone advise me on the risks I'm running by using the Cad's
> again? Both recorders spec 10ma max phantom current. Will a 16ma
> load just reduce mic performance or toast the power supply?

Keith,

I would be surprised of pulling too much phantom current fried
anything as it would be current limited in case anyone shorted the
inputs. It will reduce the voltage and the running time of the
battery. A solution would be to use an external phantom power
supply.

> I've been experimenting with a pair of PCC160's (22mV/Pa 22DB-A)
> ORTF fashion, and I like the imaging, but I'm finding them just too
> noisy.

With nature recording, noise is a more important parameter than
frequency response. I use crossed gunmics and in spite of their high
quality and high cost, the off-axis frequency response would be all
over the place if you measured it. Mic noise is low but I still hear
mic hiss in low wind conditions.

With your PCC160's, try using a hiss reduction. I use Audacity, taking
a sample from the mic under bedclothes or from the quietist second in
the recording. The trick is to bass cut the sample and limit the
reduction to -9db. This does produce some artifacts, but they are all
in the higher frequencies and get lost in the natural noise.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce