Re: Microphone advice for Parabolic please

Subject: Re: Microphone advice for Parabolic please
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:57 pm ((PDT))
> So I'd like to know where you all are finding your suitable
> parabolic reflectors? Or are you folks seriously dropping $1000 + on
> something like a JonyShot, Lil' Ears, or Telinga and dropping $10
> electret mics into them.

I'll let you into a secret - you don't need an exact parabola. If you
can find a cheap dome or a used skylight, experiment with that.

The advantage of a custom made parabolic rig is that someone else has
made it work and ones like the Telinga fold up and are light to carry.
The original parabolic mics were made from ex-military radar dishes
which were heavy and difficult to handle. Sound parabolas were also
made on a mould out of fibreglass, but that is a messy job and they
are also heavy and clumsy.

I'm playing with my alternative Brinibox design which can be lighter
and which gives a good stereo image with about 12dB boost so you can
get results from cheap mics.

See:
www.stowford.org/sounds/brinibox.htm

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce