2. Re: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array

Subject: 2. Re: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:14 am ((PDT))
<<"Wavy" is the best word I've found so far to describe a phenomenon I've n=
oticed consistently for many years on recordings captured with ORTF, M-S an=
d spaced-omni arrays. Not a partial blending toward mono, but rather a very=
 subtle but audible "jitter" or "inter-channel instability" in these non-ba=
ffled arrays. Sorry, that's the best I can do at describing it.>>

Trying to grasp your meaning here. I'm imagining this to be the indistinct =
localization of sources around center? Things which somewhat jump back & fo=
rth between left & right speakers but which are just a few degrees off cent=
er? And the shift occurs with slight head movements?

<< I've been able to greatly reduce the effect in ORTF-type pairs by moving=
 the two mics closer and closer to each other until, at some point, dependi=
ng on the mics, the "wavy" effect seems to become unnoticeable.>>

So, XY?

<< Of course, the desired stereo width gets reduced too.>>

Sounds like you're preferring stereo based on level difference over stereo =
based on time difference. Except . . .

<<Why this would occur in M-S recordings is absolutely beyond me, but it's =
almost always there.>>

Except that MS is entirely level based. So, I dunno.

Scott Fraser