Re: Talking to mosquitoes

Subject: Re: Talking to mosquitoes
From: "rock_scallop" rock_scallop
Date: Fri Aug 3, 2012 9:47 am ((PDT))
That is interesting, Hans. Were you and the mics both stationary during the=
 test? - just to rule out any relational effects.

John Hartog
rockscallop.org

--- In  "Hans Christian" <> wr=
ote:

> Hi all
>
> Recently I was out in the Nationalpark Thy in Northern Denmark, to record=
 ambiences just after sunset, when I came across an extremely weak humming-=
sound. Barely audible without the recorder gain at max. It turned out to be=
 hundreds of mosquitoes inside a small forest. I started recording, and the=
n when I made the announcement into the mic, I noticed the mosquito-hum rai=
sing in pitch for a short moment. I made different experiments, and it seem=
ed they only reacted to my voice each time, and not any other sounds I made=
.

> Has anyone come across that phenomenon? Is it a known fact that mosquitos=
 can "hear" humans, and distinguish them from other sounds? I've never hear=
d of that.

> I put up the recording on SoundCloud, but it probably requires some good =
headphones to hear the phenomenon:

> http://snd.sc/NqgQhY
>
> (I speak to the mosquitoes in danish, but don't bother. I'm not saying an=
ything very intelligent anyway. After all, they are only mosquitoes...)