[Nature Recordists] Re: Tascam DR-05 and ME66?

Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: Tascam DR-05 and ME66?

Hi Peter,

I don't think you can assume anything! First of all, Marco Pesente's comparison
is of the internal microphones on those devices, not the external mic input,
and the two do not necessarily translate, especially on the Zoom recorders. For
instance, I have a Zoom H2 and the internal mics are ok, but I never, ever use
the external mic input with the ME66 because it is so noisy.

If you can get the DR-05 for that much less than the LS-7, or any other similar
recorder, and you can live with the additional 3dB or so of noise it will add
to the signal, and it's just for bird ID, then I think that would be fine for
you. But I also figure it is worth paying a wee bit more to get a recorder that
can do more than the minimum you require.

Just my two cents. I'd go for something a little better than the DR-05 to get
more value for the dollar.

best wishes,

John

--- In