Bay of Fundy 2005

Subject: Bay of Fundy 2005
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:57 am ((PDT))
This is the soundscape that got me interested in recording. Despite the poo=
r quality of the recording it remains one of my favorites. I have been back=
 to this location with better equipment, but have never again been treated =
to a sonic display like this one.

The recording begins with chorusing Greater Shearwaters. It took me a coupl=
e of years to find someone who could positively ID these calls. Intersperse=
d are the blows of whales, probably fin whales, maybe a minke as well. Towa=
rd the end you hear the reason for all this commotion. The water is full of=
 herring you can hear running along the coast.

This was recorded with a Sony MZ-R07 ATRAC minidisc recorder and a homemade=
 mic based on Radio Shack 270-0090 omni capsules. The stereo image is almos=
t non-existent and the mic noise level is high, although I have removed som=
e of the hiss using David Brinicombe's curves in Audacity. The original is =
unbearably hissy.

The recording was made in 2005 from the top of a 100 foot cliff facing out =
over the Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick, Canada. It is the middle of the nig=
ht and pitch black, so there was no visual content to go with this, just th=
e captivating soundscape.

In a couple of weeks I'll be back there with all the gear I have accumulate=
d and constructed and all that I have learned from all of you.