14. Re: R-44 issue

Subject: 14. Re: R-44 issue
From: "Gregory O'Drobinak" gmo_dunes2
Date: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:51 am ((PDT))
Jez:

Please forgive my earlier comment, but I couldn't resist! Really, it was me=
ant
to point out that there are issues with mic preamps and mics that don't mat=
ch up
well and this is based on sub-optimal design parameters.

The DPA mics are not balanced out of the box; they are single-ended output =
mics
that are designed to be fed into the single-ended preamps that are=A0built-=
in to
the wireless transmitters commonly sold with these mics. I assume that ther=
e is
a cable adapter that is sold to make the 4060s 'look' like a balanced outpu=
t,
but in reality it appears that DPA uses some tricks that fall short of the =
mark.
This is problem #1: the 4060s are not really balanced output mics.

The second issue is that most inexpensive recorders do not have transformer=

balanced inputs, which can usually handle an unbalanced input gracefully. T=
he
preamps in my FR-2LE, for example, are 'balanced' inputs but this is done
electronically without the use of a transformer. The net result is that und=
er
various gain conditions the FR-2LE will not work well at all for single end=
ed
inputs, such as a piezo transducer or a single-ended (not balanced) input f=
rom a
mic or instrument via an XLR connector. Various noises, hum and other artif=
acts
can be heard as the mic gain is increased. So using a single-ended output
device, such as the 4060, into the poorly electronically balanced input of =
the
R-44 results in mayhem instead of nicety. This has nothing to do with curre=
nt
draw, but how well the signals are balanced at the input of the recorder.

The 4060s work well on the SD series because=A0I believe that they=A0have
transformer balanced inputs. I don't have time to go through the theory of =
all
of this, but you can research it on the web. Check what Rane has to say abo=
ut
balkanced vs. unbalanced.

So the rule of thumb is use truly balanced mics into balanced preamp inputs=
 and
use unbalanced mics into preamps designed specifically to handle unbalanced=

inputs. Most manufacturers are not going to tell you how well their balance=
d mic
preamps are going to work with unbalanced inputs. Below a certain (high) pr=
ice
point, you get what you paid for.

Sorry for the bad news.

- Greg