3. Re: beginner needs help with recording

Subject: 3. Re: beginner needs help with recording
From: "Mark" seoulgypsy
Date: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:51 am ((PDT))
Hi Diane,

I've been following this thread and have given it a lot of thought over the=
 years . I basically came to the conclusion that I wanted to record as I he=
ard and reacted in the moment. Many in nature recording like to use what is=
 called a binaural method of recording. Small mics are placed  within the e=
ar canals to come close to simulate a hearing. I find that this method at t=
imes leaves a vacuum effect through the middle and other times it works fan=
tastically. One problem with this method is that it requires the listener t=
o wear headphones to really get the full effect. Another method that some r=
efer to as Pseudo Binaural is my prefered way to play with binaural recordi=
ng. Two small electret condenser mics can be attached to a baseball cap, a =
pair of glasses or anything that allows the mics for a side head mounted pl=
acement. This pseudo binaural method allows you to monitor with the naked e=
ar and feels so personal, times even your breath is captured in the recordi=
ngs. www.sonicstudios.com has a somewhat disjointed website that explains i=
n a lot more detail what I am trying to express here. Leonard at Sonic has =
also worked out capturing wind sound as well with his totally ingenious win=
d socks that surround the capsules to magnificent effect. All of the things=
 seen on Sonic Studios website can be DIY and I believe Frogloggers sells s=
mall quiet capsules for quite a bit less than retail or online stores will =
sell them premade for.

Cheers!

Mark