Re: Very quiet recordings

Subject: Re: Very quiet recordings
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Tue Jun 5, 2012 4:09 pm ((PDT))
All,

Just throwing in a few random thoughts to this very long thread...

someone said:
> And for the most part, quiet sounds are not always readily nameable
> and thus require a greater intensity of listening.

Nothing focusses the mind like a strong sense of survival - I've been
camped out in the Australian desert on cold and still winter nights,
having walked for days and being well away from vehicles, people,
roads.  What bliss!  But in my sleeping bag at night until I fall
asleep I will be listening intently, wondering what is around, and I
will hear the soft rattle of pebbles as a wallaby comes to drink at a
waterhole, and I will hear the soft crunch of paws in the sand as a
dingo comes to check me out.

But you do not need to go to the desert to experience quietness.
Anywhere in rural Australia has the potential for quiet, where I live
is quiet.  It is winter now and last night when I listened, no
creature made a sound, it was so still and quiet.  What a difference
to summer when the air is filled with the sounds of crickets and
katydids.

> Conversation fell away and we became still. As we did so I felt a
> "rushing in" - an almost physical pressure........I don't wish to
> overanalyse, but I'd be intrigued in a wider sharing of experiences
> of such quiet places to see if there's any commonality, or if our
> experience's differ widely.

My situation is the reverse, in that I have quiet around me most of
the time.  My ears are naturally focussed on the big picture.  When I
am bombarded with noise (e.g. weekend neighbour's kids on motorbikes)
it is very easy for me to become quite distressed and I need to take
stock, go indoors and get on with something other than listening.
When the bikes go, my hearing can expand again, along with my mind
and my thoughts.  So for me it is not the quietness rushing in, but
my listening rushing out.  The noise rushes in and traps me, but the
quiet makes me free again.

Vicki Powys
Australia