6. Re: Mixing using Headphones

Subject: 6. Re: Mixing using Headphones
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Mon May 28, 2012 3:55 pm ((PDT))
Even though I worked w/ Cage at times, having written pieces and
performed with his group (a piece I wrote with percussionist George
Marsh called "Biophony IV" was premiered in SF in 1991), I didn't
always agree with him. Once, at the same event, we had a very public
fight after he accused me (I've been accused of the most dreadful
behavior during my time in this profession) of "doing violence to
animals," after playing two pieces from my 1989 album, "Gorillas in
the Mix," for the audience. One called "Trout from Ipanema," and the
other "Ape No Mountain High Enough," all of which consisted of music
generated completely from sampled animal sounds. No synth. No
traditional instruments. And speaking of editing... All the percussion
are fish. Lead melodies are elephants, birds, whales. Anyway, in front
of 300 flabbergasted people, I jumped down off the stage and walked
over to where Cage was sitting on the aisle and asked him to stick out
his foot upon which was a lovely leather sandal. Pointing to it I said
"No animal ever died for my work, Maestro," and then walked back to my
place on the stage. Like most controversial issues, the audience
parted just like the Red Sea in the bible.

But on the issue of audio transformation, he was spot on, Will.

Bernie