Re: Microphone advice for Parabolic please

Subject: Re: Microphone advice for Parabolic please
From: "H=E5kan Olsson" nordicsounds
Date: Sat May 19, 2012 6:53 am ((PDT))
Hi!
You can also consider Audio Technica AT-4022. It's a great mic with low
noise.
It needs phantom power though. I don't know if the FEL mic preamp has
phantom power?
I bought mine for $249 but I think $349 is more realistic.
A cheeper alternative is to make your own mic. Frogloggers.com have EM-172
mics that cost $9.90

-----
H=E5kan Olsson

Fr=E5n:  mothman_98 <>
Svara till:  <>
Datum:  Sat, 19 May 2012 13:13:46 -0000
Till:  <>
=C4mne:  Re: [Nature Recordists] Microphone advice for Parabolic please

Hi Wil,

Thanks for your reply - another naturescapes refugee I see!

My reflector is 20" diameter. I looked at the ME62 but not being very
knowledgeable on the technical side of sound recording was put off by
the comment "The ME66 is not suited to a dish" this was from:

http://www.wildlife-sound.org/equipment/newcomersguide/microphones.html#gun

It sounds however that you are having good results! It later implies that
the ME62 might be better suited for use in a reflector. This, with the K6
power supply it prices up at =C2=A3302 (that's US$477) - rather more than I=
 can
probably justify for my current occasional useage!

Any other options?

Cheers,

Clive

--- In
<naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com> , Wil Hershberger <>
wrote:

> What size is the parabola?
> I have had wonderful success with a Sennheiser ME62 with a K6P power modu=
le in
a 36 inch reflector.

> Wil Hershberger
> Nature Images and Sounds, LLC
> Hedgesville, WV
> The Songs of Insects
> My Blog
>

> On May 19, 2012, at 6:10 AM, mothman_98 wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > With a Nightingale singing locally, I dusted off my venerable Atherston=
reflector which I use with a Sony f-V610 microphone and an inline felmicamp=
preamp.

> > A few years back I used minidisc but now have an Olympus LS-10 recorder=
. Can
anyone recommend a better microphone for such a set-up as I was somewhat
disappointed by the quality of the recordings made with the dish. Luckily t=
he
bird flew over and sat in the tree under which I was hiding so I got a good
recording just using the built-in mics!

> > I have looked at the Sennheiser range but as I am only an occasional
recordist I would prefer a less expensive alternative, albeit you get what =
you
pay for.