Re: Hydrophones and depth

Subject: Re: Hydrophones and depth
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Thu May 10, 2012 4:00 pm ((PDT))
On 5/10/2012 6:06 PM, Robb Nichols wrote:
> Wave noise, and the noises coming from your boat are attenuated with
> distance as you place the hydrophone into deeper water.  This isn't
> usually a factor except in ocean environments.  Another thing that may
> not be of concern to you unless you're working in deep water is cable
> strum.  This isn't strictly about depth in the water, but is related.
> It is rare to get perfect days with no currents or winds.  If you're
> hydrophone is not hanging strait down--water is either flowing past it
> or you're moving across the surface--the hydrophone cable will probably
> strum like a guitar string under tension from the drag.  That strumming
> will be transferred to the hydrophone as acceleration noise and can be
> huge, depending on the orientation and type of the sensor.  A longer
> cable will lower that frequency and make that noise easier to filter out
> of your recordings.
>
> So deeper is typically better.  But conversely, if your hydrophone uses
> a bender plate to amplify strain on the piezo material with an air void
> behind it (basically the piezo discs that are common in low-cost and DIY
> hydrophone designs), it is likely to have a pretty substantial reduction
> in sensitivity as depth increases and the bender plate becomes more
> loaded by static pressure.  This probably isn't of significant concern
> if you're talking about recording at a one-meter depth verses six or
> eight meters, but if you have a longer cable, you might begin to hear
> it.  This is true of other designs as well, but is less significant.

There is another factor about setting hydrophone depth and that is wave
motion. Sound is attenuated by air/gas bubbles in the water and on days
with lots of wave activity, the layer of water near the surface is
saturated with small bubbles which will act as a strong attenuator.  One
reasons depth sounder hydrophones on boats won't work well the faster a
boat moves is due to the hull entrapping air in the water underneath the
hull. Boat propeller wash, water from a pump are all subject to
increasing the amount of air in water and conditions to avoid...

As to strumming cables, there is a simple solution.  I'm not sure how to
best to describe it but the concept is a length of material attached to
a cable such as a strip of canvas or thin rubber 4" to 6" wide with
slits every inch or so ty-wrapped by one edge along the underwater part
of the cable so it extends behind the cable in the current, will stop a
cable from strumming.

Mitch Hill

(Sent from HP DV6T)

<*> Your email settings: