10. Re: Removal of plastic coating from wires....

Subject: 10. Re: Removal of plastic coating from wires....
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Mon May 7, 2012 10:04 pm ((PDT))
Paul,
I'm thrilled to hear of your success and your pleasure in it...   A
great accomplishment rewarded with satisfaction is always a joy...  I've
been blessed to have a career in oceanographic equipment design &
engineering and have been rewarded more than my share of times with that
joy...

Congratulations...

Mitch...

On 5/8/2012 12:52 AM, Paul Willison wrote:
> Thanks Mitch.
> I just wanted to say, You all have been a tremendous help in this.  I end=
ed up finishing the first pair tonight, and the only thing I'll now change =
on further versions is the epoxy to the back of the capsule trick.   In my =
design, the capsules are set in rubber grommets with an inside diameter hol=
e slightly smaller then the capsule, but just the perfect size for a tight,=
 waterproof seal.   These  in turn fit perfectly for a waterproof seal insi=
de 3" long 3/4" to 1/2" hose connectors(for bathroom plumbing).   These con=
nectors are a heavy dark grey PVC, and actually make a more then decent loo=
king mic housing.  They are narrow at the rear, and flare out at the front.=
  The mic cable  in turn is running through the hose connector, and then th=
rough a smaller rubber grommet I found that fit the back exit just as perfe=
ctly, and has a small diameter center hole that forms a tight water proof s=
eal around the mic cable.   The grommets were tight enough
>   that no glue of any kind is needed on the front once the mic capsule is=
 pushed into place(expanding the grommet somewhat and acting as a locking d=
evice) and at the rear, I did fill the area just behind the rubber grommet =
with a half inch or so of fast dry silicone rubber cement.   On the cable s=
ection in between the front and back, I placed two rings of closed cell foa=
m, cut to shape with center holes for the cable.  This was simply to positi=
on the cable so it did  not hit the inside of the housing, as well as add a=
 small amount of handling noise dampening.  All in all, a very simple desig=
n.  After allowing the silicone to set up enough to be able to handle, I tr=
ied them out tonight.   I have to say, I'm very happy with the results!  I =
tested them on both an Olympus LS-7 and an LS-10.   Using an Olympus LS-10,=
 they are FAR better, both in noise floor and gain, then the built in mics.=
  The difference was amazingly apparent.   I tested them both
>   outside(suburban environment) and in my apt. buildings hallway.   The t=
hing about the hallway is that my Apt building has excellent noise proofing=
 in all walls, and that hallway is a virtual quiet room.    Once both the m=
ain building doors are close, and the secondary fire doors closed, you cann=
ot hear anything from either outside, or any of the apts.   With the mics, =
I only started hearing any hiss/noise at 3/4 gain on mic high.  At no point=
 on  mic. low did I hear any noise at all...amazing.   Better yet, even on =
mic. low, I was able to hear sounds from outside...something again you just=
 cannot do normally.   With mic high, I may as well have been outside.   Th=
e gain..I've experienced before to a degree...but the lack of noise is so n=
ice, these being my first even decent set of mics!
> I should add that on the LS-7, the advantages over the built in mics are =
noticeably less, but still there.  In those, the main advantage seems to be=
 a bit of additional gain.  I was surprised given it's lower price(then the=
 LS-10) but the internal mic's/preamps on the LS-7 are apparently much bett=
er then on the 10.   The flip side is that if pressed, I'd say there was a =
slight advantage to the external preamps on the LS-10, and this backs up wh=
at is seen on the chart at Avisoft.   Both recorders sounded very good with=
 these though, and now I can't wait to get the remaining set built, and try=
 them on other recorders I have.   I'm really looking forward to seeing how=
 they sound on the Sony HI-MD I have, as that already makes a very average =
set of  mic's sound decent, so these should be really good(and yes...I know=
 I need a battery box for that!).
> Sorry for the run-on, but I was just very happy with the final results!

Mitch Hill

(Sent from HP DV6T)

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional