Re: Sanken mics

Subject: Re: Sanken mics
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:53 am ((PDT))
Hi Jez,

according to the specs, the MKH50 has a noise floor of 12 dB(A). The 18 dB(=
A) figure applies when the pad (10 dB attenuator) is activated.

Regards,
Raimund

--- In  "Jez" <> wrote:

> Hi Raimund & Greg,
>
> actually, the specs on the website do say 17db but I think this is an err=
or, as previous specs for it were lower. Doing a bit of searching on the ne=
t for the older page & also on a few of the other single unit / stereo mics=
 brought up a question about Sennheiser specs - does anyone know why they g=
ive the A weighted specs as, for example on the MKH50, 12 (18). I have a va=
gue memory of working out why the 2 figures but can't remember now.

> in terms of your comment re gain Raimund,  (as discussed elsewhere) the s=
imple fact is that there are, & always have been, a wide range of different=
 approaches / techniques to field recording & sometimes this means using ga=
in to boost the signal from certain types of microphone. Of course, I don't=
 know your own experience but I can't work out how a chap who works in a fi=
eld with gain stages all over the place would find it so odd that a recorde=
r has gain or that users make use of it from time to time. For example, get=
ting a bit more gain from a recorder with high quality pre-amps is much bet=
ter (imo & subjective I know !) than adding gain in post-production.

:

> > The specifications reports a noise floor of 17dB(A), which is indeed no=
t exceptionally quiet, just mediocre:

> > http://www.sanken-mic.com/en/product/spec.cfm/9.1001000
> >
> > Bye the way, as an (electronics) engineer, I don't understand why folks=
 always demand more gain on the recorder. According to my experience and fr=
om my perspective, there is no real need for that.

> > Regards,
> > Raimund
> >
> > --- In  "Jez" <tempjez@> wrote:
> > >
> > > now i'm puzzled too - according to the specs on the Sanken site its v=
ery quiet + my first test with it also confirms that. What is it in the spe=
cs that makes you think its not too quiet ?

> > > my motivation in terms of looking at Sanken was because i've never he=
ard anything negative about their mics.