6. Re: SD 7 series recorders with / without a 302

Subject: 6. Re: SD 7 series recorders with / without a 302
From: "404" quies_still
Date: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:06 pm ((PDT))

I took a Neumann TLM 103 with me to the South Australian desert last Decemb=
er. I didn't really manage to construct a proper wind screen so only used i=
t in wind-free environments.
I mosly used it to record empty spaces in ghost towns and the quality is ab=
solutely amazing, as you would expect from a microphone like this. It reall=
y shines and I simply love listening to the world through this microphone.=

Other than that, I did always have a slight hesitation when setting it up, =
as this kind of microphone feels out of place outside a studio environment.=
..
I'd feel less reluctant with a Rode NT1-a, as it's only half the price. But=
 with the tlm in my kit, I don't really see the point of having a nt1a as w=
ell...

Peter

On 20 Apr 2012, at 03:40, hartogj wrote:

> Any reports on the fieldworthiness of the Neumann TLM103? How does it sta=
nd up in long duration outdoor elements?

> The Rode NT1A is certainly worthy of mention, albeit less smooth frequenc=
y response than the TLM103 when comparing spec graphs. For folks like me wo=
rking with a very limited financial budget, the NT1A has great bang for the=
 buck. I have used the same two NT1As on many rugged adventures over the la=
st eight years with very few problems. The main issues I have noticed with =
the NT1a are high sensitivity to wind and physical vibrations, and occasion=
al humidity effects that seem to coincide with ambient temperature crossing=
 dew point.

wrote:

> > << do members have some ideas of which mics out there have the stronges=
t signal with the least noise ? I've used most of the usual suspects but i'=
d be interested in knowing if there are any not so obvious ones out there t=
hat deliver a hefty level & are quiet in terms of self noise.>>

> > Overlooked here often are large diaphragm mics, which, all other things=
 being equal, have an inherently better noise performance than small diaphr=
agm mics. If you could deal with the added size & weight a good way to gain=
 about 6 to 8dB noise improvement over the usual Schoeps & Sennheiser MKH m=
odels would be a pair of Neumann TLM103s. They match extremely low self noi=
se with an exceptionally high output. The downside, beside the bulk, is tha=
t large diaphragm condensers are not as flat in frequency response as the b=
est small diaphragms, although the rising high end characteristic of the TL=
M103 could certainly be compensated in post. I see these listed for sale us=
ed every week in the Los Angeles Craigslist for around $700. For several ye=
ars this was the quietest mic on the market until a new Rode model bested i=
t by a dB.