Purchasing Decision

Subject: Purchasing Decision
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:13 am ((PDT))
Greetings,

I am on the verge of purchasing a new system and would appreciate some feed=
back on my choice, although I know these things have been discussed ad naus=
eam for some of you! I record in some very quiet environments where any mic=
rophone and/or preamp noise will be heard. I know noise isn't everything, b=
ut it is important to me. It is the factor that has made much of my effort =
over the past 10 years unusable. That's a painful realization.

I now want to step up from my mid-level gear to the next level. My current =
system is a Zoom H2, a Sony MZRH1 Hi-MD, a Rode NT4, A Sennheiser ME66/K6 (=
all purchased at great discount on eBay except the minidisc that i bought n=
ew 5 or so years ago), and a homemade parabola and PBBA based on the EM172 =
mic capsules.

I am planning to purchase a pair of AT4022 (or if i can find a good deal, a=
 pair of used 3032) microphones. To power and record them I am most incline=
d either toward the FR-2LE, or the SD MixPre-D going via line-in to one of =
my current recorders. I was seriously looking at the new LS-100 as the most=
 versatile recorder on the market, but I am concerned about its robustness =
and some its quirks. Does it do too much to do any of it really well for $4=
00? The PMD661 is also a possibility.

Because my funds are limited, this recorder or mixer has to last me a long,=
 long time. I may never be able to buy another. Robust build quality, relia=
bility in damp coastal environments, and long-term viability of components =
(Will CF cards and Tamiya batteries still be around in ten years?) matter t=
o me, along with the noise levels. The possibility of doing M-S recording s=
ome day when I can afford the mics is a factor, but not a significant one.=

Am I missing anything in my thinking on this? Am I going to need a better r=
ecorder to go with the MixPre-D instead of my H2, which I am more likely to=
 use than the RH1 (the mechanical noise of the minidisc is its biggest flaw=
 along with some operational challenges - the jog button is just a pain in =
the neck). My main concern about the MixPre is battery life.

I don't have the funds to get the mics, the MixPre AND a new recorder. So i=
f using the MixPre with the H2 line-in is a bad idea for some reason, then =
I'll probably turn to the FR-2LE, despite its many quirks.

Maybe you who love the PMD-661 will convince me that is the best combinatio=
n of performance and durability. I have had good experience with a borrowed=
 PMD-670 (except for the noisy preamps).

This has been one of the hardest purchasing decisions I have ever made, and=
 I make a lot of purchasing decisions for my employer.

Thank you for your patience and your help.

John

John L. Crockett
Westminster, VT

Let us live in harmony with the Earth