Re: SASS wind protection ideas

Subject: Re: SASS wind protection ideas
From: "ROSS HALE" oskargypsy
Date: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:45 am ((PDT))
Hi Peter,

Well done ! I wish I could record in half that wind speed.

It was duck down I used and yes, it was very messy, almost impossible to wo=
rk with... I just happened to have some at the time.
Possibly something like thinsulate,  another very light insulation found in=
 clothing would be easier to work with.
My idea was to help create a pool of still air around the capsules using st=
uff that had as little mass as possible.

I am working out how to enclose the whole sass in another layer of lycra li=
ke you have, so the whole thing looks like a large ball. Keeping it packabl=
e is the challenge.

I would like to record in windy conditions, I particularly enjoy the sound =
of wind moving through trees.

Ross
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 08:05:45 +1100
Subject: [Nature Recordists] SASS wind protection ideas

      On the weekend I tested my SASS in the wind, probably 20 to 25kmph, p=
erhaps 30 (going off the weather bureau's records - I don't have a meter), =
and I got a little bit of wind rumble every now and again. Is that to be ex=
pected at those speeds, or should I try for better performance? I deliberat=
ely placed it in an exposed psotion, and could probably have avoided it jus=
t by lowering the tripod.

For wind protection I've stretched lycra over the whole box, so the foam no=
se baffle holds it a few cm out from the mics themselves. Then I've screwed=
 a loop of copper pipe to the top and bottom of the box and stretched (not =
very well) some hessian, which I believe some here refer to as burlap. This=
 is held perhaps 3cm out from the lycra at its closest.

What modifications should I try to get better wind performance? A second la=
yer of lycra or hessian? Replace the hessian with knitted mohair as Vicki P=
owys has done? (That was my original intention, but I still haven't got aou=
nd to finding some.)

I read of someone putting feathers under the lycra. If I was to try somethi=
ng like that, should I prevent them from actually touching the mics? And as=
 an alternative to feathers, which sounds messy to me, would something like=
 mohair wool be ok?

Peter Shute

=20=20=20=09=09=20=09=20=20=20=09=09