Re: FYI - BBC story on recording "too quiet" critters

Subject: Re: FYI - BBC story on recording "too quiet" critters
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:36 pm ((PDT))
> Another small gripe.  I think the editors lost an opportunity in the
> introduction where Jem says, when standing in the anechoic chamber,
> "made with walls that produce _no_echo_whatsoever".  With reverb.
> :-)

Richard,

And was it Philip Glass music? All my working life I battled against
the post-production lot who live remote from reality. They once dubbed
frogs croaking over a desert scene we filmed. None of them have ever
heard a delayed explosion and bangs are even dubbed on in sync on the
"factual" news.

An anechoic room is quite weird and some people can't take it. It
feels like your ears are going to pop and when your ears settle down,
you hear your heart thumping away.

> Anyway, the piece is certainly food for thought, particularly around
> needing to get background noise levels low in order to pick up small
> sounds like these.  Something I want to do sometime, and I had
> fantasies
> of just being able to get, say, ants or big centipedes (presumably
> easier) to walk over a contact microphone to get something >
> interesting.

I'm spoilt here when there is no wind and I regularly hear Sennheiser
MKH hiss especially if it is foggy. I can hear the mains wiring in the
house humming with everything switched off.

Have you tried insects walking on a loudspeaker diaphragm? I'm
determined to beat Chris with a snail crawling. :-)

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce