[Nature Recordists] Opinions on AT 4022 Mic and ATI ML200 Pre-Amp

Subject: [Nature Recordists] Opinions on AT 4022 Mic and ATI ML200 Pre-Amp
From: Fred Bell <>

Hi All,

All things being subjective, I would really value opinions on whether this
would
be a successful arrangement for me.  A pair of Audio Technica AT4022s connected
to an ATI ML200 pre-amp (with 48V phantom) then connected to a Tascam DR-100
(utilizing the line input).  BTW, I already own the Tascam recorder.  The
recorder is OK, but I wished that I had known about this group a year ago
before
the purchase.

To get an idea of where I'm coming from, for the past year I've been using the
Tascam with a single Sennheiser K6 (ME 66 capsule) for natural soundscape
recordings.  The mic is borrowed from a friend and eventually I'll have to
return it.  When the sound level was high enough, I thought my recordings where
OK, not great but adequate.  I've learned by experience and reading that while
the mic is really sensitive, it's a bit noisy.  I've also learned that the
Tascam's pre-amps are really noisy.

I would like to expand to cleaner, stereo recordings.  But this is just a hobby
to me, and I only have about a thousand dollars to spend on mics and a pre-amp.

I've listen to some recordings made with the 4022s that sounded great.  I plan
to install the mics in a homemade SASS configuration.  I've also heard that
using the Tascam recorder's line input is pretty clean, too.  I haven't heard
much about the ATI pre-amp.  Its specs seem good, but I'm not sure whether the
phantom supply can power two 4022s or for how long.  What do you guys think?
Is
this a good mid-level approach or a mid-level waste of money?

Thanks in advance!  The info that I've gleaned from this group has been really
helpful.

Fred Bell