Re: Portable recorder as quiet as Minidisc MZ RH1

Subject: Re: Portable recorder as quiet as Minidisc MZ RH1
From: "robin_parmar_sound" robin_parmar_soun=
Date: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:30 pm ((PST))

David wrote:

> Especially if someone has objectively measured these in some way?

Avisoft Bioacoustics have a nice table:
http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

I have used elements of this with other research and my own sorting criteri=
a to create some handy charts:
http://www.theatreofnoise.com/2009/11/summary-of-portable-digital-audio.htm=

In that article I remark "Incredibly, the Sony MiniDisc has almost unmatche=
d sound quality." (I still own one but can't say I've used it in years.)

Oryoki wrote:

> Of the bunch, the Sony PCM-M10 is my choice for
> most similar to the old minidisc machines, due
> to the M10's low price, good preamp, small
> dimensions and excellent battery life.  The
> M10 also has very quiet built-in mics.

I have stopped recommending the Sony M10 for those who will be using the bu=
ilt-in mics, since the stereo field is so poor. Recordings are quite lifele=
ss and unenjoyable relative to the Olympus recorders. Instead, I recommend =
the LS-5, since it is significantly cheaper and full-featured once one supp=
lements it with a memory card or two.

-- Robin Parmar

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional