Re: ice booming in Yosemite

Subject: Re: ice booming in Yosemite
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:51 pm ((PST))
> I want to understand the physics of the delay issue with the hydrophones.=
  I assume that the delay would be best for the seperatation of the mics to=
 mimic the delay time in air.  So, if the speed in air is 343 m/s and the s=
peed in fresh water is 1497 m/s then the correct seperation would be 4.36x =
the correct spacing in air?  That would be about 74cm for the hydrophones? =
 Have I got this right and will you get closer to the sound imaging we are =
used to?

I think you're right, but that isn't what Val and I did. We just drilled ho=
les around a hundred feet apart.

Other friends have sent me examples of ice sounds, most of them more intere=
sting than mine. I suspect thinner ice makes higher and more exciting sound=
s. I wonder what effect the depth of the water has. We were in a shallow sp=
ot. Also I expect having the hydrophones in the ice or in the water might m=
ake a difference. Ours were frozen in the ice at the bottom of the 8-inch s=
heet.

-Dan