9. Re: Sonograms of long recordings [was nature recordists group]

Subject: 9. Re: Sonograms of long recordings [was nature recordists group]
From: "michael noble" not8ohm
Date: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:12 pm ((PST))
On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 7:18 AM, Peter Shute <> wrote:

> **
> I'd say that the owners of Soundcloud could probably offer the choice of =
> sonogram with just a few lines of code if they can get hold of a program =
> create the images for them. I imagine licensing might be their biggest
> difficulty. Perhaps if enough of us requested it then they'd do it.

Just an FYI, the player on the Freesound website already has sonogram
displays. It's not the default display, but you just have to click the
display button on the player to see the sonogram of your recording. To
check it out, here is a recording of frogs I made a few years back.

http://www.freesound.org/people/omjn/sounds/24139/?page=3D1#

The player will come up in waveform view, but it is dead easy to mouse over
and toggle the sonogram view. Given Freesound's history providing their
code open source, I think you'd have more luck convincing them to provide a
URL switch to embed the player in sonogram mode than you would convincing
Soundcloud to implement an entire new visualization method.

best
Michael Noble