Tascam DR-100mkII announced

Subject: Tascam DR-100mkII announced
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:17 pm ((PST))
TASCAM recently announced a new digital audio recorder with a pair of XLR m=
ic inputs.  It's called the DR-100mkII.  Price is $329.  Tascam has not set=
 a date when the new recorder will be available.

As the name suggests, the new model is based on the DR-100, a handheld reco=
rder with XLR inputs which first appeared in January 2009.   The DR-100mkII=
 does have several important upgrades that will appeal to nature recordists=
.

First, Tascam claims the mic preamp section has been improved.  Tests by Av=
isoft Bioacoustics (http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm) show the orig=
inal DR-100 to have equivalent input noise around -113 dBu, which is a medi=
ocre performance, and similar to the input noise of Tascam's low budget rec=
orders.  So an improvement in the DR-100mkII's preamp would be most welcome=
 by anyone who records in a quiet environment.

Second, Tascam has added an S/PDIF electric digital input to the DR-100mkII=
.  This allows the DR-100mkII to receive output from several high quality e=
xternal preamps. (You may need a converter to feed an AES digital signal in=
to an S/PDIF input).

Third, Tascam says the DR-100mkII's built-in mics are of higher quality tha=
n the original DR-100.  (That would not be hard to achieve, in my opinion. =
The originals were poor.)

Otherwise, the DR-100mkII looks just like the original.

I was disappointed to read in the DR-100mkII manual that the battery is the=
 same as the originals DR-100, and the factory estimates of battery life re=
main the same.  My testing of the DR-100 in 2009 showed that recording time=
 when providing phantom power was woefully short.  So be prepared to change=
 the rechargeable Lithium-ion battery several times during an all day outin=
g.  Or use an external battery.  Tascam makes one.

The DR-100mkII is already offered for $329 by several online sellers of aud=
io gear.  The original DR-100 continues to be offered for about $100 less.

So now we have five affordable small recorders with XLR mic inputs.
-- Zoom H4n ($290)
-- Tascam DR-100mkII ($329)
-- Roland R-26 ($500)
-- Marantz PMD661 ($600)
-- Fostex FR-2LE ($600)

Specifications and the manual for the DR-100mkII can be found here
http://tascam.com/product/dr-100mkii/overview/