Wrapping cables

Subject: Wrapping cables
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Thu Dec 8, 2011 11:01 am ((PST))
> I find any cable longer than around 75' gets really hard to coil
> unless you use a reel.

I left it off my last email but there is an "over-under" way of
wrapping cables learnt from sparks wrapping long 1" cables. It gets
over the way cold cables tend to finish up like a tangled slinky toy.

When coiling the cable in one hand, hold it between thumb and finger
of the other hand and rotate it so it first loops the same way and
then alternately throws a loop under, so there is no net twist in the
coil.

It is essential to tie the wrapped coil with string or whatever, as if
it is uncoiled the wrong way it throws a series of knots. Once you've
got the hang of it, over-under becomes second nature and all your
cables lay nice and flat.

While I'm writing, star quad is not intended for use as stereo cable
but you can often get away with it. Star quad is only a fully
symmetrical shielded mono balanced line cable for use in high magnetic
field interference areas like TV studios. It can cut down hum and buzz
pickup by about 20dB.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce