Re: technical advice on long XLR cables...

Subject: Re: technical advice on long XLR cables...
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Wed Dec 7, 2011 3:34 pm ((PST))
> a) how do you decide if a cable is "good enough" for this application, ba=
sed on technical specifications?
> What sort of numbers should I be looking at in terms of resistance and im=
pedence? Or is that not an issue at all?

Build and connector quality are what counts in a mic cable. I'd get pre-ass=
embled cables of a good brand like Canare or Mogami.

> b) does is it make sense to have an xlr to xlr connection at the middle, =
or would that compromise sound quality?

As long as you keep them clean, connectors are not a problem.

> That way I could have 2 x 50m cables instead of 1 x 100m, which would be =
easier to handle and would allow for 2 recording options: stereo @ 50m, or =
mono at 100m

I find any cable longer than around 75' gets really hard to coil unless you=
 use a reel. Also be aware that Mogami makes very flexible stereo and 4-cha=
nnel snake cables (you'd probably have to get someone like Whirlwind or Per=
formance Audio (Salt Lake) to assemble them). I had a 100' stereo snake cab=
le custom made by Scott at Performance Audio using a single star quad cable=
 and it's light and works very well.

-Dan