Re: What? John Hartog on Oregon Field Guide!

Subject: Re: What? John Hartog on Oregon Field Guide!
From: "hartogj" hartogj
Date: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:08 pm ((PST))
Hi Mark,
Thanks for your compliments.

Considering life is a projection of nature, when we observe nature, we are =
nature - observing our self.

Nature sound recordings, as well as other artistic expressions, can remind =
us of our connection to nature.  This feeling of presence of nature can fac=
ilitate wellness and healing. This may sound like religious testimony, but =
that is also what the data, scientifically  seem to be showing.

John Hartog
rockscallop.org

--- In  Mark Brennan <=
..> wrote:

> Hi all, I am only just catching up with all of you after some unwanted ti=
me away and looking after family things.

> John, just wanted to say what a wonderful film, passionate, great cinemat=
ography and Oregon looks 'wild' in the mountains. Very interesting too that=
 Vicki points out the art background. I think deep down all of this comes f=
rom a deep connection to nature and perhaps wanting to express this 'love' =
through recording. I sometimes get the feeling I want to 'wake people up' t=
o what they are missing.=C2=A0

> We have a illness in the family right now, it has been interested spendin=
g so much time in palliative care recently and to notice that in all of the=
 supportive books, films, magazines, Cd's and DVD's available there is virt=
ually nothing connecting anyone in need, with nature, except for one solitu=
des Cd.=C2=A0 Which brings me back to my original point of wanting to wake =
folks up to what they are missing. I guess there is a comfort of being in n=
ature for me and as John says in the film, just listening, its feels at tim=
es like a form of meditation when we become so present in our surroundings.=

> The more I learn, the more I feel that many of us are not even using anyw=
here near what our awareness levels are capable of. Perhaps the powers of o=
bservation artists tend to have do push some to explore other areas like so=
und, especially if you have a naturalist or ecology background.