Re: Telinga clip-ons?

Subject: Re: Telinga clip-ons?
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:37 pm ((PDT))
All,

a few quick comments to this interesting discussion -

With an Olympus LS10, a battery box offers no improvement over the
built-in PIP, when using Telinga clip-ons or their clones made with
Primo 172 capsules.

Mike Rooke says the Shure WL183 may have less noise than the Primo
172s when used with Sony M10 and D50 recorders.  However this does
not work for an LS10 because of an LS10 quirk.  The LS10 itself gives
lower noise when used at low sensitivity volume 10, and the 172
capsules are sufficiently sensitive that these settings can be used
for field recording.  However when using the less sensitive WL183s,
settings of low 10 on the LS10 are not high enough, so one needs to
switch back to high sensitivity, which in itself adds more noise.

Using the WL183s with a different recorder e.g. a Sony one, may be a
different story altogether.  I am only giving my experiences with LS10.

Has anyone tried using two WL183s per channel?

Another point, I did field tests on LS10 comparing twin capsules per
channel of Primo 172s, against single capsules per channel, and I
consistently got around 3 db better sensitivity with no extra noise.

I am not sure if the Sony D50 and M10 supply enough PIP to
satisfactorily run the EM172s and Telinga clip-ons.  Might be worth
trying a battery box for this setup to compare?

note to Mike Rooke, you gave this link
http://urlme.net/audio/RedShurePrimoYel.tiff
but it does not work, using two different browsers.

Vicki Powys
Australia

On 23/10/2011, at 1:23 AM, Gene Dorcas wrote:

> Eric,
>
> The LS10 PIP holds up better than most handheld recorders under the
> load of
> 2 EM172's  You might want to try them without the batt box 1st.
>
> Gene

--- In  "Kawika" <>