Re: Brinibox, answers to David, buying existing recordings from newb

Subject: Re: Brinibox, answers to David, buying existing recordings from newb
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:14 am ((PDT))
Peter asks on the original subject line:

> David, do you leave the mics directly on the ground, or mounted a
> little way above it?

My message is to experiment as there are no hard and fast rules for
deploying mics. With my MKH rig the back ends of the blimps are more
or less on the ground as they are pointing up at about 45 deg. See:
http://www.stowford.org/images/229_2955px900.jpg

> My original plan was to simply take the DR-100, stick it in a tree,
> protect it from dew and rain and come back in say 10 hours and
> retrieve it.

Chuck,

In about 5 hours the battery would be flat unless you have an external
power source. I would be very dubious about leaving a hand recorder
out in dew, let alone rain. Even slight condensation inside could
cause serious damage. Wrapping it in freshly ironed woollen cloth
still needs wrapping in a good plastic bag or a closed box to keep
damp out. I don't advise silica gel as it would need a lot for the
same benefit and regenerating it is a problem.

Until you know what you're getting, I would advise listening to the
recorder with headphones as it records. You need to train your ears to
interpret what you hear in the headphones compared with real life.
Take along a non-creaky chair or groundsheet and perhaps a good book.
:-)

You will need extension leads for this to avoid your personal
breathing and rustling. I make up my own cables, and I convert the
Message: 3.
Subject: 5mm plugs on the cheap mics to XLR plugs as my cables are all XLR's,
but you can use 3.5mm extension leads up to about 15 metres (45ft).
Best to find someone handy with a soldering iron, but you can buy
longer XLR cables.

I've already described the Brinibox on this list so I can't patent it.
I claim copyright on the idea but I'm happy to put that on a Creative
Commonss licence with attribution and without commercial use as with
my recordings. The prototype is made from a cardboard box and sticky
tape and if anyone would like to develop the idea I can supply the
theory behind it.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: