NSS Lecture-Demonstration at Dolby October 5

Subject: NSS Lecture-Demonstration at Dolby October 5
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:02 pm ((PDT))
Dear Colleagues,

We will be presenting a special edition of the Nature Sounds Society's lect=
ure-demonstration at a meeting of the Audio Engineering Society at Dolby La=
bs in San Francisco at 7:30 PM, Wednesday October 5. For engineers, this ta=
lk will emphasize equipment and technique. The meeting is open to the publi=
c but reservations are required. See the RSVP link in the announcement belo=
w.

Sharon Perry, Chair, Nature Sounds Society

To view this email in your Web browser, open this link:
http://aessf.org/meetings/20111005.htm

Annual Meeting
Audio Engineering Society
San Francisco Section

Recording California Soundscapes
PRE-REGISTERED GUESTS ONLY
RSVP here http://aessf.org/rsvp

Dolby Laboratories, San Francisco

Wednesday, October 5, 7:30 PM
(refreshments at 7:00 PM)

A lecture-demonstration by Dan Dugan of the Nature Sounds Society
* The many ways nature recordings are used
* How our national parks are struggling with a new mission to inventory,
monitor, and preserve their natural soundscapes
* Two styles, species hunting and soundscape recording
* Introduction to the theory of soundscape analysis
* Capturing space: mono, stereo, and surround
* Dugan's "heavy" and "light" field recording rigs
* A tour of sixteen California soundscapes in unmixed surround sound
* An opportunity to handle and listen to both economical and professional f=
ield
recording gear

About the speaker:

Dan Dugan started his career as a theatrical lighting designer, then switch=
ed
to sound. He was the first person to be credited as "Sound Designer" in 196=
Message: 8.

Subject: Dugan invented the automatic microphone mixer, demonstrating his first
prototype at an AES paper session in 1974. Currently he manufactures his
inventions in the form of automatic mixing controllers, used on television =
talk
shows, news panels, sports commentary, presidential debates, and wherever t=
here
are multiple unscripted talkers.

Dugan has been a technical advisor to the Nature Sounds Society for over tw=
enty
years. He has recorded soundscapes in New Zealand and in many national park=
and monuments, including Muir Woods, Yosemite, Pinnacles, Joshua Tree, Lass=
en,
Yellowstone, Olympic, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Sequoia-Kings Canyon, Lava Beds, =
and
Haleakala. Dugan and his wife Sharon Perry did a project in which they reco=
rded
a dawn chorus in Cathedral Grove of Muir Woods every month for a year. This
spring he recorded surround sound overnight in four locations in Joshua Tre=
National Park and in the three Sequoia groves of Yosemite National Park.

Address & Directions:

Dolby Laboratories
100 Potrero Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94103-4813

http://www.dolby.com/about/contact_us/directions_sf.html

>From Peninsula/S.F. Airport/Silicon Valley (Hwy. 101 North) Take Vermont St=
reet
Exit. Make immediate left onto Vermont Street. Go 5 blocks and turn left on=
Alameda Street. Three blocks up is Potrero Avenue. Dolby is the large, red,
3-story brick building on the corner of Potrero and Alameda.

>From Bay Bridge (Hwy. 80 West) Take 9th Street/Civic Center exit. Go to the
south onto Harrison Street. Follow Harrison to 10th Street. Turn left onto =
10th
Street and proceed under freeway overpass onto Potrero Avenue. Dolby is the
large, red, 3-story brick building on the corner of Potrero and Alameda.

>From Golden Gate Bridge (Hwy. 101 South) Cross Golden Gate Bridge, take the
Lombard Street (Hwy. 101) Exit. Follow Hwy. 101 signs up Lombard to Van Nes=
Avenue. Turn right. Proceed on Van Ness to Fell Street and turn left. Proce=
ed
on Fell until it crosses Market Street and becomes 10th Street. Continue on
10th under freeway overpass and bear right onto Potrero Avenue. Dolby is th=
large, red, 3-story brick building on the corner of Potrero and Alameda.

Free street parking after 7:00 PM