Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: Start time for Sony PCM-M10 with memory card

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: Start time for Sony PCM-M10 with memory card

This is interesting. To date I have been using a Marantz PMD620 pocket
recorder, and have been thinking about switching to a Sony M10 because
of allegedly better internal mics and pre-amps, and continuous
adjustment of levels with a wheel rather than pushing buttons.

Just did a quick test for startup time (counting not properly timed):

2 GB card: about 2 seconds
16 GB card (fast one): about 5 seconds
16 GB card (slower one): about 5 seconds

Which suggests that, given the crudity of my measurements, this device
is also taking longer to start up with larger cards, and that faster
cards do not seem to make any significant difference (bear in mind the
crudity of measurement).

I guess it depends on what you are using a device for. For what I have
done to date really quick startup times have not been an issue (setup
times being several tens of seconds at an absolute minimum). If you are
in a situation where having something ready to record at a moments
notice is important, but simply leaving the device recording
continuously and sorting out the good bits later is not appropriate, you
can always just run it paused until you need to use it (with solid state
recorders there are not the same problems you would get trying to do
this with tape - just some drain on the battery).

Richard