Re: New recordist introduction and request for tips.

Subject: Re: New recordist introduction and request for tips.
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Fri Sep 2, 2011 10:31 pm ((PDT))
> I think I will hold off buying a mic for a while now as I see there is much
> for me to learn yet. the shure wl-183 seem nice. I'll check their prices and
> availablity here. Do I need to make the cable (xlr-3.5 jack) myself or do
> they have some part number I can order?

The WL-183s were my first nature recording mics, mounted on the shoulders of a
vest. They came with 4-pin mini-xlr connectors, so I made a Y-adaptor to use
them with my mini-disc recorder. As I experimented with other PIP mics and
started to do 4-channel recordings, I stuck with the connector system. Now my
"light system" is four Telinga Clip-Ons, with mini-xlr connectors, tiny gauge
extension cables with mini-xlrs, and a Zoom H2 modified by Umashankar to have
two 3.5mm inputs, front pair and rear pair.

Including a generous collection of cables this system weighs five pounds,
compared with thirty pounds for my "heavy system" made of all standard
professional gear. Makes a world of difference for backpacking.

In the wireless mic world mini-xlr genders are reversed from the standards for
wired professional sound; the mic cable has a female on it and the transmitter
a male. Thus my Y-adaptor has two male mini-xlrs and a male 3.5mm stereo plug
for the recorder. No one but me and a few friends use this peculiar (but
effective) wiring scheme, so you can't buy the adaptor.

Where are you located?

-Dan