[Nature Recordists] Marantz PMD-620. Rec level problems for birdin=

Subject: [Nature Recordists] Marantz PMD-620. Rec level problems for birdin=
From: Emiliano Agust=C3=ADn Depino <>
g.

=C2=A0
Hi, mi name is Emiliano Depino, and I have bought my new Marantz pmd-620. I
use it for birding, recording bird sounds for scientific purpose. The
problem is that I can't find or reach a good "rec gain level in" using an
external condenser microphone.

I'm setting the recorder like this, trying to have the highest gain as
possible:

01 Input                    Auto
02 Rec Format          PCM-24
03 Rec Channel         Mono
04 Sample Rate         48k
05 Level Cont             Manual (0dB)
06 Level Led              -6dB
07 Manual Track        On
08 Auto Track             Off
09 Silent Skip             Off
10 Mic Atten.              0dB
11 Low Cut                 Off
12 Mic Power             On / Off .... I'm using a Sennheiser me-67 with an
AA battery. I don't find difference with the power on or off, so I use it
off
13 Input Jack              Mono
14 Skip Back              3 seg
15 Key Lock               All
16 Battery                  Alkaline
17 Auto power off        On
18 Sp Mute                Off

The firmware version is A3.01

I would like to know if I'm setting OK the recorder, or if I can make any
test to know if is it working right. I just can reach rec level in near -6d=
being at 2 meters from a bird, and birds that sing really loud.

*Should I think in an external preamp or an external phantom power???*

Cheers.

Emiliano.

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional