Re: with big regrets....

Subject: Re: with big regrets....
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:38 pm ((PDT))
I think this has more to do with expectation management which is only learn=
ed in the field with experience. What works well in the backyard may be tot=
ally useless once in the field, we learn from the disappointments - I have =
plenty to report but will leave it there.

-M

--- In  "Microscopica" <> =
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hear what you're saying and can understand its use as a 'cheat sheet' f=
or other recordists who for whatever reason are unable to experiment or int=
erpret manufacturers' specifications to achieve the best match. Unfortunate=
ly, this results in a compromise, enabling the use of mismatched microphone=
s & recorders by the unwary. What then happens is disappointment with the c=
aptured audio and belief that the recorder being used is unsuitable for tha=
t particular use; not helped by frequent comments aired about how noisy one=
 recorder is to another, when in fact it's the use of an inappropriate micr=
ophone system.

> --- In  "Mike Rooke" <yg@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >  "   I find it a rather pointless exercise expounding the virtues of a =
particular
> > microphone system with different audio recorders. It would be far bette=
r finding
> > a microphone system which provides the best match for a particular reco=
rder."

> > This was the point of posting the information, to match the mics (in th=
is case
> > from Primo and Shure)
> >
> > "Reference comments made about better noise levels at particular gain s=
ettings,
> > it is known that with modern amplifier chips, the best signal to noise =
ratio
> > will be when the amplifier is being fully driven, ie. at maximum gain."
> >
> > Thats true when using insensitive mics or recording 150 Ohm resistors.
> >
> > "Both the PCM-M10 & LS-XX discussed have virtually identical lowest equ=
ivalent input noise[EIN (A)] at approx. -122dBu with maximum gain settings =
'High 10', but the LS-XX
> > can run with a 60% 'hotter' microphone input than the PCM-M10"
> >
> > I understand this as meaning there more preamp gain with the LS10 than =
that provided by the M10.

> > "hence the need
> > for a different microphone system for the LS-XX compared to the PCM-M10=
"

> > My understanding is that the gain of the LS-XX needs setting to give a =
comparable recording level vs the same content on the M10. If the content i=
s a reference tone you can get a good indication that level x on the LSxx m=
atches level y on the M10.

> > "The possible reason for capturing better low noise recordings (for low=
 level
> > ambience) at particular gain settings far removed from high gain, requi=
ring the
> > use of post-edit-amplification to make up the difference, is most proba=
bly due
> > to the fact that the microphone is not best matched to the recorder."
> >
> > True which is why the level values were mentioned to give some idea for=
 readers to use as a reference when using the same capsules on different re=
corders.

> > Eyeballing a VU meter doesnt quite work if the recorder drops below or =
fails to show
> > the dB value in a quiet location, turning the gain up may result in cli=
pping once things get going - hence we learn what works for a particular re=
cording system and mic. That process is repeated if the recorder changes ev=
en if the mics remain the same. In the case of recorders that do meter corr=
ectly the above is all hot air of cause :)

 wrote:

> [...]
sules require gain 4.3 to show the same, thats about 10dB less.

of 3 is sufficient for the Sony D50 to capture the full dynamic range, add =
the limiter and its very versatile.

reducing the noise floor, gain level 7 will show -5dB Full scale re 94dB SP=
L @ 1Khz.

g the low noise omni capsules than the Olympus LS10. Which i suspect is due=
 to its lower pip voltage which results in a less sensitive capsule.

e is no sound pressure above 100dB.

> > > I find it a rather pointless exercise expounding the virtues of a par=
ticular microphone system with different audio recorders. It would be far b=
etter finding a microphone system which provides the best match for a parti=
cular recorder. Reference comments made about better noise levels at partic=
ular gain settings, it is known that with modern amplifier chips, the best =
signal to noise ratio will be when the amplifier is being fully driven, ie.=
 at maximum gain. Both the PCM-M10 & LS-XX discussed have virtually identic=
al lowest equivalent input noise [EIN (A)] at approx. -122dBu with maximum =
gain settings 'High 10', but the LS-XX can run with a 60% 'hotter' micropho=
ne input than the PCM-M10, hence the need for a different microphone system=
 for the LS-XX compared to the PCM-M10.
> > > The possible reason for capturing better low noise recordings (for lo=
w level ambience) at particular gain settings far removed from high gain, r=
equiring the use of post-edit-amplification to make up the difference, is m=
ost probably due to the fact that the microphone is not best matched to the=
 recorder.

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: