Re: Humpback songsters, link is now good--

Subject: Re: Humpback songsters, link is now good--
From: "Andrew Skeoch" listeningearth
Date: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:25 pm ((PDT))
Hi David,

Just delightful to hear these creatures! Loved the animal 'muttering away t=
o itself' in the latter half.

To my ears, the recording sounds processed, like denoised...  Am I just unf=
amiliar with underwater recordings? Or is the mp3 compression?

Thanks for posting this,

Andrew

> Thanks for listening, Jim. I didn't know until recently that the Humpback=
 has no vocal chords--these sounds are made by forcing air thru various cha=
mbers in the nostrum! It's a living pipe-organ One-Whale-Band!
> David
>
> --- In  Jim Morgan <> wrote:
> >
> > Great recording David!!!
> >
> > As you say the sounds are truly amazing and the quality is superb.
> >
> > Thanks for a fantastic recording.
> >
> > Jim Morgan
> > Prescott, AZ
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Kawika <> wrote:
> >
> > > **
> > >

> > > Hi recordists, this link now works, thanks John and Jim for the help.
> > > Please have a listen, there are some amazing sounds--
> > >
> > > http://soundcloud.com/akikik1/humpbacks-off-kauai
> > >
> > > --- In  David Kuhn <dkuhn012001@>
> > > wrote:
> > > Hi recordists,
> > > Humpback Whales recorded off Maha`ulepu, SE Kaua`i in March 2011. At =
least
> > > 3
> > > animals singing and uttering elements of their Hawai`i dialect.
> > > Technique--Aquarian Audio H2a-XLR hydrophones, each weighted to preve=
nt
> > > surfacing, suspended bow and stern from a two-man kayak. A drogue (or=
 drag,
> > > an
> > > empty bucket hanging from stern) keeps the craft aligned with current=
 and
> > > wind
> > > to maintain a stereo image. Still got more surface sound than I want,=
 maybe
> > > I'll
> > > raise the rudder next time.
> > >
> > > http://soundcloud.com/akikik1/humpbacks-off-kauai
> > >
> > > Being out there among these creatures, headphones on, is thrilling. O=
ne
> > > doesn't
> > > see the singers, as the males sing suspended head-down in 75-100 feet=
 of
> > > water.
> > > Aloha,
> > > David