Re: mkh800 vs. mkh8040

Subject: Re: mkh800 vs. mkh8040
From: "Aaron Ximm" aaron_gmail
Date: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:16 pm ((PDT))
On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:47 PM, emil klotzsch <> wrote:

> can you make a statement concerning the selfnoise?
> and is the mkh800 worth the extra money?

Not an answer to the question, but as a user of both -- I currently have an
MS pair rigged with an 8040 and 800 (in figure-8) -- I can say that I feel
more confident about taking the 8040 into the field e.g. in backpacking
conditions. The 800s are impeccably constructed, but have 'moving parts' in
a way that the 80x0 single-pattern siblings do not.

Also, mounting the 800s as 80x0 replacements is non-trivial since they are
side-addressing. It's doable with some forethought, but not effortless. I'm
pretty sure that the windscreen solutions I've used (Rycote, Sennheiser, and
DPA blimps/Windpac) are all engineered with the expectation that you're
using front-addressing mics, except for the M/S case.

best,
aaron

--

  quietamerican.org